Earlier this year, we introduced the SharePod, our point-to-point solution for "everything else". SharePod allows you to take just about any device with an unencrypted HDMI output and stream it live to your wePresent unit. Compatible with both the WiPG-1600 and the WiPG-2000, the SharePod does all the rendering for other devices, meaning you can use a digital camera, microscope, or document reader just as you would any other mobile device connected to your wireless gateway. Today, we'll go over how to pair a SharePod to your wePresent, how to use it, and a few other little things.
Pairing the SharePod with the USB Cable
Pairing your SharePod is easy with the included USB cable. This process should automatically pair your SharePod with the wePresent, allowing you to use the SharePod immediately. Keep in mind that when switching between wePresent units, you'll need to repair with the new unit.
1) Make sure your SharePod is not connected to the power adapter. While the SharePod requires power to operate when streaming, it will pull power from the wePresent during the pairing process.
2) Plug the Mini-USB into the SharePod.
3) Plug the other end of the USB cable into the front USB port on the wePresent. The flashing red light is perfectly normal, we promise. This just indicates the unit is pairing.
4) When you see the message that says "Finish SharePod Pairing", you're ready to go. To use the SharePod, skip the next section and follow the directions.
Pairing the SharePod Via the Web Admin Panel
If you're using a WiPG-1600, or you're having trouble getting the SharePod to work over complicated network structures, you'll want to use the web admin panel to pair your SharePod. Doing so will allow you to input your wireless network information manually, which will then allow the SharePod to find your wePresent on the correct network.
1) Open the web admin panel and login. You can reach the web admin panel by typing the IP of your wePresent into your browser, then clicking the "Admin" icon in the top left.
2) Click the menu option for "Device Setup".
3) Input the wireless credentials into the "SharePod Pairing Settings" box. You'll find this underneath the "Date and Time" settings and above "AirPlay". Make sure these settings are identical to the network settings for your wePresent.
4) Click apply to save the settings. The wePresent may reboot after saving these settings.
5) Refer to the above tutorial on pairing your SharePod via the USB cable. All that's left is to transmit the settings from the wePresent to the SharePod, which will happen automatically once they're paired via USB. Afterward, your SharePod will automatically connect to the wireless network and allow you to present whatever device you have connected to it.
Using the SharePod
1) Plug the SharePod into a power source. While the SharePod wirelessly displays your HDMI output, it still needs a dedicated power source.
2) Plug an HDMI cable into the device you're attempting to display. In this case, we're using a Lumens Ladibug DC192 document camera, our preferred model for demonstrating the SharePod.
3) Plug the other end into the HDMI port on the front of your SharePod.
4) Touch the button on the top of the SharePod and begin streaming from that device.
A Note on HDCP
High-bandwidth digital content protection, or HDCP is the industry standard for protecting IP you'll find on Blu-Ray discs, cable broadcasts, and more. While we don't really need to go into how it works, what you do need to know is that HDCP encrypts some signals sent over HDMI cables, rendering them unusable. It's not incredibly different from the way cable television is scrambled without the right filters, and it serves the same purpose: stopping people from illegally obtaining someone elses IP.
In the interest of maintaining this security, the SharePod does not support the streaming of HDCP-encrypted devices. Attempting to stream an HDCP-encrypted device will result in a blank screen or a garbled image. This is not a design flaw, nor a shortcoming of the device, this is an intentional design to protect HDCP-encryption from being bypassed in order to unlawfully obtain IP such as movies or music.
Still Have Questions?
It's fine if you do. The SharePod is new, and we're here to help. If you're having issues getting your SharePod to work, or any other wePresent product, don't hesitate to get in touch with our fantastic tech support team. Odds are, no matter where you are on the globe, there's someone ready to help you out.